Football for Peace aims to host symposiums in the coming years that will open up a dialogue with communities, their leaders, clubs and players about how effective Football can be in tackling the globes most pressing issues.
One of Football for Peaces initiatives is to convene high level discussions with politicians, local and national, statesman, diplomats and influencers across the World in a conversation on how football can deliver positive social change and empower young people to sustain it. On the 24th of November, Football for Peace held a high-level event at the 74th Session of the United Nations General Assembly in New York promoting the power of football to address any social harms and in particular, prevent violence by introducing them to the Football for Peace’s ‘Dialogue Through Sport’ event. The event was hosted by Dr Diallo, former Director at the office of the Special Advisor to the United Nations Secretary General on Sport for development and Peace.
This ‘Dialogue Through Sport’ event showcased the projects Football for Peace deliver in communities that engage young people in football and life skills training programmes and hosting conversations with policy makers about the role that sport, and football, can play in being a force for good.
Key note speakers at the event were:
H.E. Mr. Soltan bin Saad Al-Muraikhi, Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, State of Qatar
H.E. Ambassador Nathan A. Sales, Acting Under -Secretary for Civilian Security, Democracy, and Human Rights, United States Department of State
Mr Vladimir Voronkov, Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism UNOCT
The high level panel discussion between government delegates, private sector and sports bodies brought insight into the ability to work together to support sports base engagement programmes. Seated on the panel:
- Mr. Hassan Al-Thawadi, Secretary-General, Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy, World Cup 2022, State of Qatar.
- Carli Lloyd – Two-time Olympic Gold-Medalist, Two-time FIFA Women’s World Cup champion, Two-time FIFA Player of the Year, and a Three-time Olympian.
- Dr Erkut Sögüt– Sports Lawyer, Lecturer and Author.
- Oguchi Onyewu – professional footballer, former USA national team captain, AC Milan and Newcastle United.
- Ahmed Nasser, NFL Player Association President.
- Ali Soufan, Founder of the Soufan Centre.
- Jeff Mostyn, Chairman of Bournemouth FC, FA Council Member.
- Sam Acho, NFL Player, Former Chicago Bears and Arizona Cardinals.
Hosted by former director of the UNOSDP office in New York Dr Djbril Diallo. Football for peace Co founder and young peace envoy spokenon the power of football at the at the Africa open for Business Event where Presidents and Prime Ministers, Captains of Industry, and Young Leaders from Africa and the Diaspora addressed the Challenge of Climate Change and its impact on Health, Business, and the Empowerment of Women. Kashif Siddiqi and Braydon beta addressed the assembly on Football for Peace and its future plans to deliver City for Peace programmes that would engage thousands of Young People.